PFCU’s commitment to financial education extends to Michigan through our PFCU student-run school branches. This valuable program is part of students’ overall education and improves financial literacy in our communities.
Students who volunteer for this program gain a deeper understanding of how a credit union operates while learning specific job skills that will benefit them in the future. PFCU currently partners with five Michigan schools: Saranac Elementary, Lakewood Elementary, Westwood Elementary, Pewamo-Westphalia Elementary and St. Patrick Elementary.
- Increase students’ understanding of transactions and the technology used in the financial services industry
- Encourage practical uses of math skills while emphasizing monetary applications
- Give students more responsibility leading to greater self-confidence
- Enhance life-learning skills, employability skills, and self-esteem
- Educate students on the importance of budgeting and saving
How the Program Works
Each school’s financial education program may vary depending on students’ age.
- A student-run branch typically operates one day a week throughout the school year for 30 minutes to 1.5 hours per day. Lunch periods are popular times for operation for middle and high schools.
- The program can be part of a specific math or business class, or it can run independent of any classes.
- Schools can participate in this valuable program at no cost. We just need the space to set up at the school.
How Students Can Participate
- Interested students must fill out an application and interview for positions in a PFCU school branch.
- Students will not be paid for their work, but they may be eligible for a work experience credit through their school.
- Available positions could include branch managers, assistant managers, tellers, computer operators and bookkeepers.
- Students will learn the same skills that PFCU requires of its own professional staff.
For more information about PFCU’s financial education school branch program, contact our Youth Financial Education Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.