PFCU is a West/Central Michigan financial cooperative dedicated to improving members’ lives. As a cooperative credit union, we’re not-for-profit that is owned and run by our members. Our excess profits are returned to members in various forms, such as lower lending rates and higher savings rates, to help them reach their financial goals. In our early years, PFCU offered only one savings account and one loan product. We have grown into a full-service West/Central Michigan credit union providing every type of financial service our members require.
We have grown from four employees in 1978 to more than 100 staff members while our assets have grown from $3.5 million to upwards of $300 million as membership has increased from 3,000 to more than 28,000 in that time.
The Beginnings of Portland Federal Credit Union
PFCU was formed in March 1947 when employees of the Holley Carburetor plant in Portland, Michigan, pooled their resources and applied to the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) for a credit union charter. At that time, they operated the credit union in their plant and only Holley Carburetor employees could join as members.
Holley Carburetor left the Portland area in 1953, but several former employees wanted to preserve Portland Federal Credit Union. NCUA approved them to expand credit union membership to anyone who lived or worked within four miles of the Portland post office. PFCU’s office was moved to the home of Arden McCrumb, who became PFCU’s manager.
Other Important PFCU Events
- In 1964, the main office building at 223 Charlotte Highway in Portland was constructed with several additions over the years.
- In 1982, a field of membership expansion was approved by NCUA to include a 10 square-mile radius including portions of Eaton and Clinton counties.
- In 1994, PFCU’s field of membership expanded to include the entire county of Ionia and PFCU’s second Ionia branch office opened.
- In 1998, PFCU added offices in Westphalia and Lake Odessa.
- In 2006, PFCU and Federal Employees Credit Union of Lansing merged and created a PFCU Lansing office on Grand River Avenue.
- In 2007, our field of membership expanded to include Barry and Kent counties and any business located there, including the city of Lansing.
- In 2008, a new corporate office in Portland opened a half-mile south of the previous location.
- In 2011, PFCU relocated the Lansing office to West Saginaw Highway in front of Menards at I-96.
- In 2013, PFCU opened a Lowell office on Fulton Street by Meijer.
- In 2015, PFCU opened a Caledonia office on Cherry Valley Ave. by BoonDox Motorsports.
"Local people dedicated to hometown service one member at a time, anytime."
- Service Quality
- In our Actions
- In our Products
- Personal Commitment
- To the Members
- To each Teammate
- To Ourselves
“We are committed to the communities that we serve by providing products and services to exceed their lifelong financial goals. We will be our members' primary financial institution.”
We are proud of our success while remaining small enough to offer personalized, caring service to our members.Learn about becoming a PFCU member.