Unclaimed Money

Searching for Unclaimed Money in Michigan

Unclaimed property is property that belongs to someone and has gone unclaimed beyond the dormancy period. Examples of unclaimed property include uncashed payroll checks, inactive stocks, dividends, checking and savings accounts as well as many other property types.

How can a person search for unclaimed property?

A person can search for unclaimed property by visiting www.michigan.gov/unclaimedproperty or by calling UPD at (517) 636-5320.

Why does Michigan have an unclaimed property law?

Michigan's Uniform Unclaimed Property Act protects unclaimed property and returns it to its rightful owners or their heirs. The State Treasurer takes custody of the property so the owner may claim it, even if the original holder (like a financial institution) is no longer in business. The law also centralizes the search for lost property. Michigan citizens trying to locate forgotten bank accounts and other property need only look in one place: the Unclaimed Property Division of the Michigan Department of Treasury.

How can I prevent my property from being turned over to the State?

Below is a list of things that can be done to prevent your property from being turned over to the state:

  1. Keep all records accurate and current.
  2. Notify companies who are holders of your property whenever you move or change address.
  3. Keep accounts active by initiating activity on your account, not merely the accrual of interest.
  4. Cash all checks received.
  5. Notify a family member or another trusted person of the location of your financial records such as bank accounts and safe deposit boxes.